Thursday, March 20, 2014

BJD Ear-piercing~!

So... I don't know if you guys noticed, but Ethan? He's kind of a punk/goth-y character as far as his style goes. THUS, I decided to pierce his ears! 

Now, ear-piercing is not always the solution to your dolls' earring-needing needs... But, in this case, where I wanted to be able to change his earrings as often (or not often) as I wished, I decided that modding my doll was the best choice. This is a PERMANENT mod! So, BEWARE! Use caution, and do something that I didn't do on the first ear (Hey, it's a learning experience!): use something to make an indentation on the ear before you start drilling! (can you tell that I'm having fun with different font-thingies? XD) On the second ear, I used the tip of the drill bit to lightly, barely drill in, making an indentation, before I started pushing into the ear some to really drill it. Because I didn't make an indentation on the first ear, the pin vise slipped... and his piercing ended up off near the edge of his earlobe... Yeah... But, I learned quickly from my mistake, and pierced the second ear, in my opinion, perfectly~!

Now, down to business... ㅡㅅ ㅡ  (random 'serious kitty' face~!)

I recommend that you wear a mask (and do this outside, if possible), 'cause as you probably already know, resin is dangerous when inhaled...

Sadly, I didn't film it... 'cause I was just way too excited to do my first mod, and didn't even think of filming it. But, I will tell you guys how I did it, and show you the end product!

Step 1. Check out your doll's ears... I know, it sounds weird and creepy, but we (or at least I) do some weird stuff with, or stare creepily at, our dolls. Anyways~ If the earlobe is cast to the head, don't even bother looking any farther. You can only safely pierce you doll's ear(s) if their earlobe is not attached to their head. If it's attached, then you're probably going to drill into its head, which would make your doll very sad and make you sad.  

Step 2. Get a small manual hand drill (I used a Hobbico pin vise which was only $11 and came with, like, 5 or 6 drill bits (I got it at my local hobby store)) Do NOT get an electric drill, and do NOT try using yours, the heat from it will melt the plastic/resin, plus you'll have, like NO CONTROL.

Step 3. Mark with a pencil (just a normal one is fine, you're going to be drilling away that spot anyways...) where you want the piercings. Check, using your psychic powers, if it's too close to, in the back, where your doll's ear and head meet. If it is, simply erase it quickly and re-mark. (You also have to decide now what angle you're going to drill at)

Step 4. This is where I had the most trouble, so I'll tell you how I did it. Firstly, get the earring you're going to put in your doll's ear (small human ones work well for 1/3 scale dolls). Hold the post up to the drill bits and select whichever drill bit is closest to the size of the earring post. Put that one in your drill. 

Step 5. MAKE THE INDENTATION!

Step 6. Get your drill and position it so that you won't drill into the head if you get too drill-happy (also, for extra safety, put the eraser of the pencil you used earlier (assuming you used a mechanical pencil) behind the ear, in between the ear and the head). 

Step 7. Start drilling! Constantly check that the angle is right, and how close you are to breaking through!  When you're almost through, you should be able to see a grayish-blueish dot on the back of your doll's ear...

Step 8. Once done, don't pull your drill right out, turn it the opposite direction a little first, or the whole way, if necessary.

Step 9. Stick the earrings in~! And you're DONE!

GOOD LUCK~! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment