Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review: Bodyline l388 Detachable Sleeve Princess OP w/ choker in Purple (pul)



OK...Bodyline dream dress time~! ^o^ Yesh, this is my dream dress from bodyline!

It's one of the more expensive ones from Bodyline, at $67, but I think that it's worth the price. :9 Especially when the brand clothes are sooo much worse. XD







Quality: Solid quality, especially compared to the other dress I got. This one is made of cotton and polyester, the other one was just polyester...so...naturally, this one is going to be a nicer quality. ^^;
See? No shine! ^^

 

Color and Pattern: Purple, it's purple...not a normal lolita color, but the color was just so beautiful on the website, and they were out of pink, so...^^; I bought it! And I do not regret it at all! It really is a gorgeous color! C:  (The great thing about it is that it goes with my pink gloves AND my blue parasol...not at the same time though...)I hate blue, but the blue was so pretty, I almost bought that one...just a little unneeded information. Basically, the colors for this dress are really nice :3 And...well, there is no pattern, it's a solid color...so... :P I guess I'm done with this section...

Design: OMG, this design is so detailed and complicated, I don't even know where to begin! So many ruffles! So many frills! SO much lace! So, let's just take it from the top down.
 It comes with a matching choker. (which I use as a headband) It has the same laces as the bodice, which are very soft and wonderful :3 Not itchy at all!
Detail of the laces
The bodice had three bows on it, and lots of lace!

detail of the lace on the top of the bodice, which matches the choker
Partial shirring along the back with corset lacing


Side zipper, nice and easy to zip
Sleeves have laces going down it, with a bow. They are detachable

A look at the bell-shaped sleeves, very intricate. :3

Detail of the bottom of the sleeve
Looks a little shiny...but let's focus on the pretty frills, yes? :P

Detail on the skirt, big bows and lace!

A look at the lace and ruffles on the bottom

And the back of the skirt!
 
Fit: Yet again, my bust was the max bust...actually, my bust was a bit bigger than that, but it had shirring AND corset lacing, so... 9.9 I bought it...AND IT FIT! :D The waist fit as well, although it was a tad too big (again) but again, the dress has waistties, so, it's all good! :D Now this one can handle some puff! It can handle a whole lot of puff! More puff than i have petticoats for! (which of course, Imma have to fix) Complete cupcake shape, it's wonderful! :3

See? Puffy! And look at those sleeves! :D

Selca wearing the choker as a headband


Update: Since I wrote this... like, a long time ago. I have gained fifty pounds, due to medicine I'm on, a went up two bra sizes, and it still fits!



2 comments:

  1. To tell the truth I'm really not sure you can say that "brand clothes are worse", aha. My everyday wardrobe is about 70% brand pieces with the rest vintage, offbrand, and a few Bodyline pieces and to be quite honest, the brand pieces are not just on a different level from the Bodyline pieces, they're in a different universe. I've bought from Bodyline about twice a year for the last seven years and they haven't changed much other than becoming cuter (they were very ugly in the past! XD I remember when they had only one single non-horrific loliable JSK in their dress section; it was That One Bodyline Dress!) and a lot more "inspired" by brands, so I can attest to their quality.

    The Bodyline pieces are unlined, the material is thin and a little stiff, the edges are just serged rather than hemmed, lots of their designs are awkward-looking or copied from brand, the skirts aren't particularly full, and the lace tends to be thin and blocky at best-- even their cotton lace is really only OK. That's not to say they're horrible as they're cute, and lots of their designs make really nice filler pieces for if you don't want to wear Baby out to walk the dog or get the groceries. They're just not spectacular as the company scrimps a lot on materials and construction to offer lower prices.

    On the other hand, the brand pieces I own are fully lined (mostly with built-in petticoats for a bit of extra fluff), the material is like butter, the lace is thick, delicate, and often unique to the brand, the colours are vibrant, the designs are elegant, and every one of them is beautifully hand-finished. That's not me being a brand snob, it's just that you get what you pay for with brand (although admittedly I've bought second-hand Baby, AP, and IW skirts and JSKs in perfect condition from places like Closet Child and egl-comm-sales for ~$50 including shipping...).

    The only point where Bodyline really can match up in terms of quality is their shoes, since a lot of them are produced in the same factories as the brand shoes (and having owned brand shoes, they don't take much of a beating for 12000+ yen shoes whereas I'm not too sad about scuffing up a pair of 2000 yen Bodyline tea parties! ⊙﹏⊙). They just generally don't match up in terms of design. (Non-replica Taobao and Rakuten shoes are often the best middle ground on price, quality and design!)

    Sorry for this long spiel! I just feel it's important to really understand the difference between Bodyline and brand when you're starting out in the fashion. I think that one really needs to own both a piece of brand and a piece of Bodyline to appreciate the difference, you know?

    By the way, here's a fun tip for your future orders-- Bodyline's currency conversion is really old, from a time when the yen was stronger than it is now. If you convert the price into JPY before you check out, you can easily save $10+ on every piece while getting the equivalent of free AIR shipping, or EMS for the price of AIR. :D (This dress you bought becomes 4999 yen, or about $52.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I wasn't talking about brand being worse than bodyline in quality at all, I was merely talking about pricing! ^^ (in which case, bodyline obviously wins) As far as quality for price, well, there you definitely have an argument!
      And thank you very much for the tip! I didn't know that! C:

      Delete