Sunday, November 30, 2014

Something I'm Thankful For... (Belated Thanksgiving Post)

As you all may know, I'm not exactly 'normal'... In my hobbies or my fashion style. But, my family has almost always supported me in my weird endeavors. And if they didn't at first,  they eventually did, simply because they're nice people. 
Even my extended family, whether I'm talking about grandma/grandpas/cousins/aunts/uncles/ or my super close friends (who I consider family), even they accepted it, even though many of them didn't fully understand it. 

A part of me thinks that the only reason they accepted everything so simply is because they, themselves, already have enough weirdness to deal with... but another part thinks that it's also because they really do love and care about me. And so, for that, I'm thankful.

One of my cousins is a complete comic-book geek, not manga, comic-books. And, he actually works as a letterer for some comics (Nothing big... yet). He also has a business of making things out of old comic-books, like a cute bracelet he made for me one Christmas, though he normally makes things like wallets and buttons. But I digress, my point is that he was already in the 'otaku culture', so he knew about cosplay. So, but of course, when I came to him, dressed in lolita, he decided that it was cosplay, and still, to this day, I think, believes that it's a costume/ me pretending to be someone else. But, he accepts it as part of me. Even though he doesn't fully understand it.

In a somewhat related note, my grandparents also don't fully understand it, but, sadly, I think have a better grasp on it than my cousin. I think this because my grandparents were alive in the 50s and stuff, an era in which petticoats and big skirts were a normal thing, though the skirts weren't quite as big as ours. Also, my grandparents are able to see the influence of past eras in lolita fashion, For instance, one time, I came down in lolita while my grandparents were over, and my grandma exclaimed, with stars in her eyes, "She looks like my grandmother!"

And then, there are my otaku friends. Some of which almost fully understand lolita, very few of which are actually into lolita fashion, but are scared to attempt it, and some of which view it as a form of lolicon... UGH. Naturally, I have the most difficulty with the last ones (and aren't really friends with them...).

And my lolita friends/community are for a whole other thing.

And here is a ramble-y video that seems to tell my entire infant lolita life-story

No comments:

Post a Comment